Saturday, October 11, 2008

Key to success in life.

Growing up as a child, my parents always taught us to believe that people tend to become to us what we expect them to become. They told us to refrain from saying “I cannot do it” because according to them, “the more you say I cannot, the more likely you begin to believe it”. For the longest time, I just didn’t understand how not being able to do something could affect your later life. But as I grew older, I learned to understand and believe that with hard work and determination, you could do and be whatever you want.
I believe that hard work and determination goes a long way. I remember the story my mother told us about her childhood. According to my mother, her parents past when she was just 5 years old and because of that, she had to live with her aunty who had 6 children of her own. Between sending her six kids to school, there wasn’t enough funds to send my mother to school but she was so determined to go to school so she decided to start saving up all her money. After a year, she saved enough to pay for her first year tuition. After her year in school, she had such outstanding grades that the school gave her a full scholarship which helped her graduate with a Bachelor’s degree.
When ever I hear about the topic of hard work and determination, I think of the movie “The pursuit of happiness”. In this movie, Will Smith’s character had a boy, a wife and was between jobs. Half way into the movie, his wife left him and their child and ran off. They were thrown out of their apartment for lack of payment. Despite all the hardship, he was still determined to give his son what he never had; he was determined to make it if not for himself, for his son. He decided to intern at a prestigious company with a huge amount of other intern all fighting for one job open at the company. So he worked hard, struggled and went the extra mile do achieve his goal. And after all said and done, he got the job.
I believe that what ever you decided to do or be in life, it requires dedication, hard work and determination. If you wanted to be a professional basketball, baseball or football player, you will get a lot of criticism, you will be told how hard it is and how low your chances are of making it, you might even be discouraged by people close to you, you might even feel like giving up but if you are determined and willing to really work for it, you will make it.

4 comments:

timand1 said...

Your mom seems like a great lady. I dont think there are to many people that could handle her situation. She is a good example of how hard work and determination can lead to success.

John said...

Great looking essay. I really liked the story of your mother, it tied into your paper very well.

Julia Michelle said...

I really enjoyed reading/hearing your essay. The story of your mother was very moving to me. I would also agree with your statement as refraining from saying that you can not do something. My parents were all over my sisters and I when we would say oh were not smart enough to take that class, or I can't handle that job, etc. We were always told that we could do anything we wanted, but you have to work at it and practice. Life isn't easy, it's challenging, take the challenge, work at it, and you can accomplish anything!

Farah Shah said...

I agree your thoughts on that movie “The pursuit of happiness”. It has left a huge impact on me too. I was emotionally involve watching that movie. Will Smith did very well fighting through tough time in his life and continue working on his courage to that point of losing every little thing to regain his success. I think you did a good comparison of your mother’s story and this movie.