The story of Starbucks coffee history begins in Seattle in 1971, when three friends with a passion for fresh coffee, Jerry Baldwin, Zev Siegl and Gordon Bowker, opened a small shop and began selling fresh-roasted and coffee beans. Starbucks has always been the place to find the world’s best coffees. And now, it has grown tremendously overtime that it is now considered an American way of life.
In 1982 Starbucks coffee history was changed forever when Baldwin hired Schultz as the new head of marketing. Schultz found himself infatuated with the vibrant coffee culture of Italy. In what he describes as an epiphany, the idea hit him, he wondered, "why not create community gathering places like the great coffee house of Italy in the United States?" This idea would place Starbucks coffee on top of the map.
Starbucks has become an American icon. Most American citizen loves the fresh, delicious smell and taste of that good Starbucks coffee. After listening to everyone’s take on how awesome coffee tasted, I decided to visit my aunty who I knew was pretty much a coffee addict and spent the weekend, I woke up the next morning and asked her to make me a cup of coffee as she made hers. Now she loved that strong black raw taste of coffee, and with me being completely clueless, I thought for the most part it tasted like chocolate tea. But to my greatest surprise, it had a very strong bitter taste. As far as I was concerned, it had a very awful taste that made me almost vomit. After that experience, I told myself that maybe going to my aunt’s house wasn’t the best way to go about my investigation, so decided to pay Starbucks a visit. And after my first visit, I can honestly say that Starbucks has become an addiction to most American including me.
Starbucks has grown to the point that a large amount of Americans love to go there for different reasons. I realized these reasons when I first walked into a Starbucks coffee shop, I looked to my left and saw an elderly man in his 50s reading a newspaper while sipping on a cup of hot coffee, I turned to my right, and there was a young girl, probably a college student with a text book and a laptop, reading and typing at the same time while drinking her cappuccino de cafĂ©. Starbucks coffee has grown into our daily lives. If you were to Walk through the streets of New York city, you will see businessmen in their corporate suits, briefcase on one hand and a cup of coffee on the other, Government workers waiting for a bus or cab with a cup of coffee in their hands, pedestrians waiting to cross the intersection with a cup of coffee in their hands. Going to Starbucks in the morning is a hassle because there is always a long line of coffee drinkers waiting to make their order and considering that there isn’t an age limit/requirement to drinking coffee, I pretty much see teenagers buying and drinking on the way to their respective schools.

4 comments:
I love starbucks!!!!! Its amazing how Starbucks started off as a small shop. Today starbucks is all over growing fast. I wish me and my friends shared a passion for something to start a company. Indeed starbucks is an American icon.
Its interesting to see how certain things in our country become a part of the idea of Americana. Starbucks has certainly become one of these symbols of American culture. I'm an avid coffee drinker but rarely do I go to Starbucks for that fix. When you're on the go though, as are most american workers, Starbucks is right up there at the top of the list for when you need that quick wakeup.
I honestly feel that Starbucks is overrated. The coffee really isn't that good, it tastes bland to me. Also, on two occasions at two different Starbucks, I've found hair in my muffin! Personally I "... run on dunkin'!"
But I agree that the atmosphere in Starbucks is amazing, and extremely diverse.
Starbucks and coffee in general seem to be a defining part of American culture. It's interesting to see how these small parts of daily lives create giant companies and can come to define us.
Post a Comment